Have you faced more than your fair share of job rejection? Or have you been rejected for something that you thought was an absolute given? Sharing some insider insights and advice…
Recognise that there are many reasons for job rejection.
It’s hard not to take any form of rejection personally; particularly when you’re given all the cues that you’re a good fit for a role. However, rather than dwelling on what you’ve done wrong (which might not be anything!) focus on what could have gone right for someone else this time.
You see that we haven’t said what someone else has done right yet rather what’s gone right for them? For instance…
- You could be super qualified and/or experienced, yet the selected candidate could be even more so or simply have one skill or bit of experience that you don’t (yet!).
- You might have indicated that you’re looking for career progression when the interviewer knows that they can’t offer this and thinks you’ll soon be bored.
- Your interviewer may really like your personality but feel someone else will slot in better with certain team members.
- Your interview could have been great. But someone else’s interview may have flowed better.
- It could be that there was barely anything between you and your competition and your interviewer simply went by instinct. In this case, perhaps you would have been the one selected on another day.
We could go on – and it could be a complete mix of the above/other factors!
But what if it happens over and over again?
This still doesn’t necessarily mean it’s personal. You could be looking for jobs within a particularly competitive industry or picking roles with unusually high application numbers.
Keep applying and keep applying well! Make sure you take the time to work on each application and interview. Plus, where possible, make sure you’re always seeking feedback on those roles that you didn’t get.
Your recruitment consultant should assist you in gaining interview feedback to help you with your future applications.
Ready to look for your next role? Visit our jobs page.