How the finance and financial services industries are leading the way, according to three recent news reports.
This is promising reading for anyone considering a new job or career within these sectors – which have long served as prominent local employers.
1) Training and development potential
The finance sector currently tops the list for professions providing training and skills development opportunities.
- Finance scored 88%
- The rest of the top five included: HR/recruitment (82%)
- Civil servant roles (81%)
- Law (78%)
- And Accounts (77%)
In addition, you’ll see that other great commercial office employers receive top ten scores.
This is all the more impressive when you consider that almost 1/3 of businesses do not offer any employee training or development. We discuss some of the reasons why this is the case here.
2) Fastest growing sectors for women
Finance and financial services also appear in the ‘top ten fastest growing industries for women‘.
This data explores the rate of growth over the 20-year period from 1998 to 2018.
- ‘Support for finance and insurance’ has increased by 124.18%, which places these industries in 9th position.
- Other high-scoring roles, such as head office management (showing a 191.27% increase) and Information services (up 146.15%) could be conducted both within and outside of these sectors.
3) Workplace happiness
The industry once again scores in the top ten of the ‘Workplace Happiness League Table‘.
- Finance achieves a 68% score for employees who rank themselves as ‘happy or very happy’ in their jobs.
- Legal, IT and telecoms, property, media/communications and the medical industries all also score impressively.
80% of people rank happiness as ‘important’ at work, versus 58% for salary, according to the survey. Another fantastic reason to work within this sector!
Read next: is salary the most important factor in your job search?