What are the top ways to create joy at work? Essential reading to support you and your colleagues…
Work and joy aren’t necessarily synonymous in your thoughts. Yet understanding what creates most happiness could help you to step closer to this notion. What’s more, knowing what makes most people feel happier could help you to become a better colleague – whether you’re managing employees or simply working alongside them.
It’s time to turn to a recent survey of UK professionals, which reveals that…
The greatest work joys include:
- Completing tasks without mistakes (52.6%)
- ‘Helping others’ (41.9%)
- Challenging your abilities with a tricky task (30.5%)
- Praise from your manager (27.7%)
- Compliments from colleagues (24.8%)
- Being awarded the ‘leading role’ on a project (18.8%)
- Leaving work each day! (17.3%)
- Arriving at work on time (15.3%)
- Taking your allocated breaks and heading home on time (5.4%)
- And not having too much work to do (3.8%)
Is this a good sign?
It’s promising that the most popular responses are those that pertain to doing a good job and being a great colleague, rather than escaping from work! Not that there’s anything wrong with looking forward to your personal time when you consider that most people are experiencing some work-life balance challenges.
If you do find yourself solely identifying with items 7, 9 and 10, it’s likely you’re not doing a job that aligns with your skills and interests. Perhaps you’d like to take a look at the latest job opportunities.
Additionally, if you identify with a mix of these factors but really don’t get much opportunity to experience them, you may also want to do some research to see what else is out there.
How to bring more joy & be a better colleague
- One of the benefits of this list is that it’s relatively simple to experiment with. While you may not be awarded any leading roles right now, you can more easily offer others your help; challenge yourself to really use your skills; offer genuine compliments to colleagues and make more of an effort to arrive and leave on time.
- Of course, your colleagues are likely to appreciate those genuine compliments and your assistance. Yet they’ll also appreciate something you may not so readily do – accepting their offers of help.
- And you never know, the more items you tick, the more likely you are to receive that praise from your manager and/or be assigned a more senior role or project.
Feeling happy at work yet ready for a new challenge? You’ll also want to head straight to our jobs page!