Young people expect to make multiple career changes in their working lives…
You won’t be surprised that the majority of young people expect to change jobs at least once during their careers. After all, it’s incredibly rare for large groups of people to work in the same roles and for the same companies forever.
However, almost 1/4 (23%) of young people also expect to make multiple career changes; in other words, also switching professions and/or industries rather than just jobs.
Considering their future career changes…
The above findings have been shared by Survation on behalf of the AAT. The pool consisted of just over 1000 16 to 24-year-olds (all considered as ‘Generation Z’).
They reveal that:
- Nearly 1/3 (32%) of young people expect to make one to two job changes during their careers.
- In addition, 23% expect to change their career path twice in future.
- 14% of respondents think they’ll experiment with a greater number of professions, making three career changes.
- Only 9% of people think they’ll work for the same company for their entire career. While 16% think they’ll at least remain on the same career path.
How they’ll prepare for their future roles:
- It’s great to see that these respondents are prepared to take a proactive approach, with 52% saying they’d undertake a new qualification in order to progress their careers.
- What’s more, 61% believe they’ll have to ‘upskill’ throughout their working lives. This is especially important as it so closely reflects the experts’ thoughts on the future of work and automation. Please see below for articles that further explore this topic.
The relevance of this data for employers:
As HR Magazine discusses, business and HR leaders will need to work hard to retain Generation Z employees. Especially the 43% that say they’d like to create their own business one day.
This may involve nurturing the creative potential of employees, so they feel able to challenge themselves and pursue their own ideas within the business.
Further reading for your future career and job skills:
- Future job skills & work portfolios for all: find out whether you possess the three most vital future job skills. Plus why you may want to create a work portfolio regardless of your job role.
- What employers want: six key skills that employers want to find in their future team members.
- Are you being upskilled at work? What to do if you aren’t receiving the opportunity to refresh your job skills.
- The top most wanted trainee skills: 10 abilities that will benefit trainees…and everyone else!
- The future skills framework: the major new taskforce set to decide which skills we’ll all need in future. Plus why students sre feeling unprepared for their careers.