An opportunity has arisen within one of Bath’s prestigious higher education establishments for a Governance Manager to provide a critical contribution to the governance arrangements within the institution.
Delivering a comprehensive and specialist professional governance support service to the Board of Governors and its committees, you will be responsible for the development, review, coordination and continuous improvement of the governance framework and processes.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a well respected team and make a critical contribution to the governance arrangements.
- To provide specialist advice to board members and other stakeholders on governance issues and the adoption of best practice.
- To work with the Secretary in monitoring the discharge by the board of its statutory and regulatory responsibilities, drafting or commissioning reports as necessary on such requirements and presenting papers for discussion at formal meetings as required.
- To act as company secretary in respect of the two subsidiary companies and actively contribute to the development of strategies for optimising the utility of those companies.
- To manage and contribute to institution-wide projects and working groups pertaining to governance and other matters which fall within the remit of the wider Secretary’s Office.
- To identify and implement new and innovative methods of providing governance support to improve service delivery.
- To take overall responsibility for the process of election and appointment of members to the board and its committees; developing strategies to further enhance the skills and diversity of the board and delivering an innovative programme of induction.
- To lead the development and maintenance of the annual and ongoing schedule of board and committee business, ensuring the effective and efficient flow of business between different elements of the governance structure.
- To lead, direct and manage events, such as governor development and training sessions. To contribute to events on occasion, such as board away-days.
- To develop, maintain and apply expert knowledge of the key governance documents and processes.
- To develop processes and procedures to ensure that the board and its committees operate effectively.
- To curate and develop the corporate policy framework.
- To conduct regular governance effectiveness reviews, analysing results and producing summary reports of the outcomes and consequential recommendations for change.
Skills & Experience:
- A good honours degree in a relevant subject or equivalent related work experience
- Excellent knowledge of the practice and application of good governance
- Substantial experience of working in a similar role in higher education or other regulated environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (with proven drafting and minute writing skills), and experience of presenting to a senior management audience
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills with a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, including the ability to deal efficiently with a number of simultaneous matters, balancing conflicting priorities and meeting deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability to work independently, with initiative and creativity
- Proven ability to set clear objectives and to monitor performance against them
- Excellent IT skills
- Proven analytical skills
- Previous project management experience
Salary £27,511 – £32,816
It is company policy as a matter of courtesy to respond to all applications within three working days. However because of the volume of applications we are currently receiving we are sometimes unable to respond to individual candidates. If we have not contacted you within three working days your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion and your details have not been retained. Please apply for any other position that you may see in the future.