If you take a look back over the past 12 months, how would you rate your employee performance? Are you giving your job your all, or do you know that you’re contributing far from your best?
The nation may be facing an employee performance crisis, with more than 1/4 of people knowingly underperforming at work. This particular stat comes from research conducted on more than 15,000 European and UK workers (as discussed by People Management).
Findings also reveal:
- 1/3 of people do not feel stimulated by their job.
- 2/5 additionally don’t believe they’re undertaking ‘meaningful’ tasks at work.
- The UK is also falling behind the rest of Europe, where only 1/5 of employees believe they’re underperforming.
Why are employee performance levels so poor?
In addition to craving more meaningful roles, it appears that a lack of ongoing skills development may lead people to feel dissatisfied and rest on their laurels. Advanced IT training (61%) and problem-solving skills coaching (35%) are both cited as possible motivating factors to increase job satisfaction.
Of course, the individual motivators will vary by business and team. Which is why employers are also encouraged to get to the root of productivity problems within their own companies. Further advice is given in the piece.
Are professionals dreaming of other jobs?
These stats also call to mind a story shared by The Independent. There, we hear that 90% of people are not currently working in their dream job. What’s more…
- 2/3 of employees don’t think they would be successful in achieving their ideal role.
- Millennials represented the most optimistic survey group, with 64% thinking they could secure it within about six years.
- The women most want to be authors (replacing the teachers of previous studies), while men hope to be ‘entrepreneurs’ (in lieu of their prior footballing aspirations).
- People are most discouraged by a ‘fear of failure’ and/or lack of financial buffer.
- Some simply do not know how they’d break into their target industry. Others are waiting for a different time in their life to attempt it, such as after becoming parents.
What these findings mean for you
Know that your own employee performance levels are lacking? It’s time to ask yourself why! Do you crave the chance to do a spot of training and update your skills? Are you feeling ready to leap into that long-imagined career (the one that always features in your party chat!)? There’s a good chance that you sit somewhere in-between and feel ready for that next step in your career.
If this is the case, it’s a great time to start looking at what’s out there. Employers are urgently seeking fresh skills for a variety of fantastic opportunities. You’ll find the latest jobs listed here.
To discuss your recruitment needs, please call the office on 01225 313130.